The Music Ministry of FUMC is made up of all ages, each with differing gifts and levels of ability. What we hold in common is a desire to give God what we have to bring Him praise!
Some of our core music ministry values at FUMC:
- We believe we are to sing and play instruments because God is worthy of our praise and has called us to worship through music (Ps. 33:3).
- We believe that God deserves and asks for our best (1 Chron. 21:24), so we strive to make music with excellence.
- We believe that everything in worship ought to edify the body (1 Cor. 14:26), so we sing and play songs that minister, strengthen, challenge, and encourage the body of Christ.
- We believe in utilizing a diversity of music in worship because (1) God commanded us to use diverse genres (“psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs,” Eph. 5:19 - i.e., the old and the new); and because (2) the body of Christ is made up of diverse people and ages.
- We believe that all ages can offer up their musical gifts; no person is too young or too old to give praise to God!
- We believe that those on the platform are not performers or more important than those who sit in the pew. Those up front are mere facilitators - “lead worshipers” - who strive weekly to help the congregation worship for the audience of One, who is God Himself.